Friday, October 10, 2014

At least they wore helmets.

A few years ago, I set about trying to rebuild my young adult library of books. I've always been a bookworm and a habitual book rereader.

Around the time I became obsessed with horses, I started to devour books on horses, horse care, and such.  I read with such ferocity that I truly thought we could put a horse in our small 1/4 acre lot and it would cut down on the time my dad had to now the lawn (a strikingly similar idea in Me and Katie (The Pest)). 

A common theme in all these books was that a teenage or preteen girl for some reason or another comes to be the sole owner/trainer of a wild or untrained horse and in a matter of months the horse is perfectly broke, quiet, and jumping. 

At the time, I thought this was reality. Now, having ACTUALLY OWNED A HORSE (and become a parent),  I'm all, "What the hell?" Who let these girls all alone with a wild horse with no supervision?

But yet, I still reread them and consider them an integral part of my childhood and obsession and love for horses.

No comments:

Post a Comment